· Rochester Clinic: How has adopting the principles of the CHIP Program transformed your life?
· Barb: Prior to embarking on the program, I was a chicken and fish person. I thought cheese and ice cream were fabulous. But my true drug of choice when I got too stressed was sugar of any kind. The plant-based lifestyle has helped me immensely. It is so easy – I can’t believe it. My lab work is incredible. And how I feel today compared to before the program is unbelievable. My choice of drug now is fruits and vegetables!
· Rochester Clinic: What are some of your favorite plant-based foods?
· Barb: I like a variety of salads, soups, pasta dishes, bread and tortillas.
· Rochester Clinic: How do you stay on track?
· Barb: By being mindful of my food choices. I reference the CHIP cookbooks, informational books and DVDs given by the doctors as part of the program. Mei Liu has been so helpful and the entire staff are dedicated to helping. They are great!
· Rochester Clinic: What would you say to someone who is on the fence about lifestyle change?
· Barb: You have nothing to lose by trying it — only better health. I’ve been on Weight Watchers, Medifast, a variety of diets, and nothing has worked the way this has. And all without drugs! The staff at Rochester Clinic are the most helpful and compassionate people I have ever met. They are great mentors who teach and encourage people to lead a happier and healthier life. No amount of money can buy health once it is lost.
The CHIP Program has truly been worth my time and money. Participants had a full plant-based meal each session featuring a different menu each time – everything from salads, hot dishes, pizza, desserts, breads, tacos, soups and more! It changes the mindset from, “Oh my gosh, I can’t eat like that,” to “This is really good… I can’t believe this is not really meatballs?” It was amazing!